Saturday, April 24, 2010

Out of the Closet

Yesterday I was able to talk to Peter Parolin, the chair of the UW English department where I teach. I told him the secret I've been keeping for a little while: that Ron and I plan to move to Bellevue next summer. After the shock wore off, Peter seemed very happy for me. He seemed even happier when he was able to realize that I didn't mean this summer, that in fact I was giving him a one year notice. And we both seemed happy at the prospect that perhaps I could continue to teach at UW through the Outreach School, even from Iowa. I'm not counting on that happening but I would be very happy if I could keep my job part time but do it from where I want to be next year. The best of all worlds. Anyway, I feel great relief to be out of the closet at work. I didn't feel comfortable revealing plans to friends, either, until I had talked to Peter.

No comments:

Post a Comment